New update from Sony which appears to be optional in some locations. Of course we have seen in the past that this will very likely soon be changed to compulsory. So whats in the update this time around?
- You can now set the group of players who can see your trophies. You can also specify for each game whether to show trophies.
- The PS3 system can now perform the following operations when you set [Settings] > [System Settings] > [Automatic Update] to [On], even if you do not subscribe to PlayStationPlus. When this setting is [On], the PS3 system will automatically start each day at the specified time, perform these operations, and then turn off:
- Download content items purchased with other devices
- Download the latest system software
- Support of Closed Captions function on playing Blu-ray Disc videos and DVDs (SCEA UC model only).
Other New or Revised Features
- [Closed Captions Settings] has been added under [Settings] > [Video Settings]. Set [Display Closed Captions as Specified by Content] to [Off] to adjust advanced settings for the display method.
- “PlayStationNetwork” has been renamed “PSN”.
- System stability during use of PlayStation3 format software and network services has been improved.
Probably the most interesting for anyone without a PSN+ account is the ability to schedule updates to happen automatically at a pre-defined time when you are away from your console.
There’s an update there for people wanting a bit more privacy for their trophies by allowing only specific groups of friends to view certain trophies. This begs the question still though what are you playing that you dont want some of your friends to know about? hmm? Still useful for some no doubt.
Strangely the renaming of PlayStationNetwork to simply “PSN” actually happened with firmware 4.50 – guess they forgot about it.
Some users are reporting that this update has made their PS3’s quieter. Hopefully this is not a sign that Sony have again lowered the fan speeds as this could in the long run shorten the life of the PS3 – stopping short there before it goes all PS4 conspiracy theory.
Still optional update but it was a minor problem to update the PS3 Jailbreak CFW.